Part and parcel of Romania, located in Timis County, the village and commune of Pischia are one of its territorial administrative units.
This land, so fertile, has sustained life here since ancient times. Neither the unfavorable conditions, nor the times of sorrow have managed to put an end to this continuous cycle of life. Both the wonderful geographical setting and the beauty of the landscape, the wealth of the soil and the diligence of the inhabitants of this land have enabled the early establishment of economic and social activities. Alongside all other villages in this country, this village located at the crossroads of the hills was the creator of its own destiny, from ancient times to the present day.
A hallmark for the local people and for visitors is the School of Pischia, the place where for flame of knowledge has been kept burning for centuries. The school was founded in 1765 by the school teacher Schteckler Paul, and has functioned without interruptions, at first in Hungarian, then in German, and since 1940 also in Romanian. The beginnings of the organization of educational activities in Pischia village dates back to the year 1726, when children aged 6 to 12 were being taught to read, writ and compute by the church. The school at number 9 was built in 1775, and it taught in German. In 1941, because of the war, the school stops functioning until 1945, when it is reopened, until the education reform of 1948, when the Romanian 1st – 7th Grade School is established, giving the German students the right to study German as the maternal language, as compulsory school subject. There are no school records older than 1923, with documents written in both Romanian and German. In 1960, the 8 grades general education system is adopted, and between 1985-1990, the school of Pischia functions with the grades 1st – 10th, and from 1991 it started again functioning with the grades 1st – 10th.
The cultural landscape of Pischia is completed by the two libraries – a school library and one at the Community Center which also houses the National House.
Faith is what united the people of Pischia, more than anything. Regardless of the times, they have remained united around the church – more than a symbol, a holy place where each of them could always find themselves and find God. The church plays an extremely important role in the life of Pischia, and is a factor a stability and unity of the local community. The first Roman Catholic parish was recorded in the year 1333 in the Papal Decimal lists. The parish was re-established in 1759, and the current Roman Catholic Church was built in 1776 and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The records start with the year 1760. Along the years, the Roman Catholic Church was renovated several times, and the wooden structure of the tower modified.
A series of churches located in Pischia commune complete the cultural and religious life of the commune and underline the deep connection between the local people and their Creator, Who has blessed these lands; the Pentecostal Church of Pischia, the Christian Orthodox Church of Bencecu de Sus, the Roman Catholic of Bencecu de Sus, the Pentecostal Church “Philadelphia” of Bencecu de Sus, the Christian Orthodox Church of Bencecu de Jos and the Christian Orthodox Church of Murani.
The Townhall of Pischia, as the decisional body of the commune, formed part of the Vinga district, Timis-Torontal County, since the inter-war period. The old town hall building was located in the same place as the current one, called “Dorfschulzen”. The commune administration consisted of an honorific mayor elected by the local people, of a secretary and two clerks, in charge of the notarial documents and records. Later, these were joined by a vice-notary and a cashier, and then by an accountant. The new Townhouse building, “wareschhaus”, was erected on the site on the old one, in 1911, having more rooms. The Town Hall attended both the economic and the social (doctors, school, forest, anima breeding center) aspects of the commune, and the commune management.
The first information on the Pischia post-office are from 1896, when mention is made of a postal service for delivering letters, telegrams and parcels between Pischia and Timisoara. The post-office had three employees: a mailman, a telegraph operator and a clerk who wrote the telegrams. The post-office functioned, along the years, in several houses: in the house of Hans, at the Townhall, and in the house of Mathias Götz, in the house of Nicolaus Wagner and in the house of Mathias Junkert. Today, the post-office functions in the same place, providing two services – the postal service, ensured by the post-office manager and the mailmen of Pischia and Murani, and a telephone service, ensured by the manager and several telephone operators.
For centuries, the diligence and love of the land have made the people of Pischia famous. Agriculture has always been here more than a way of life, it has been life itself, regardless of whether it is cultivating cereals, industrial crops, vegetables, fruit trees or vines, breeding livestock or bees.
The main occupation of the people has always been agriculture. The existence and fertility of the land, suitable for farming, has insured this occupation was conducted since ancient times. “The fertility of this country is so great, that the land, without being manured, produces abundantly everything that man needs”
This occupation, farming, was perpetuated because it insures the means of subsistence. The people of Banat have always been connected with the land as the main source of life and development. This fertile land made possible the very existence on this land.
There are also other reasons that make Pischia a unique place in Romania. Forestry, for instance, is one of the engines of development in Pischia. Hunting aficionados will find here the best playground: more than 1700 hectares of forest, the ideal place for organized hunting parties.
The railway Timisoara-Radna was built between 1892 and 1896 by a private company and it passed by the edge of the village. The station of Pischia, a one story-building, was constructed in 1910 (fig. 14). The ground floor housed the office of the station manager and the first floor was where the station manager lived. The station served for the transport of both passengers and freight, animals, materials, having a double line, until 2001, and since then it only serves the transport of passengers.