Pischia also means, above all else, health.
In Pischia and in its neighborhood, there are resources of mineralized water, used by the local people, as well as by tourists, who pass by, as it has a pleasant, oxygenated and mineralized taste. By its composition, it is a bicarbonate, sodic, chloric, slightly carbonated and hypotonic water, being indicated in the treatment of digestive system ailments, in urinary tract ailments and in allergies.
Ever since the 18th century, Er. Griselini mentioned: “in a place in Timisoara district, approximately half an hour away from the German village of Pischia, there are two springs, of which one is with purgative mineral water, and the other with sulfurous water, with purgative power against scab and other skin diseases, but deadly for birds, frogs.”
19th Austrian sources also mention this. Thus, in 1804, a source mentions “the village of Bruckenau, also called Piskia, near Timisoara, not far from Giarmata, with mineral waters.” Then, in 1865, the German sources mention “Piskia in the principality of Hungary, near Timisoara, with mineral waters (minera quellen)”. In 1874, a source also mentions “Piskia, Df. In Ungaria, com. Temes bei Temeswar, 1500 E Mineralquellen”.
The first mineral water artesian well in Pischia was drilled in the year 1963, in the center of the village, at a depth of 118 m, at the time of Mayor Pasca Teodor, of the village people initiative and from the funds collected by them. The intention was actually to drill a drinking water fountain, but the mineral water was discovered. The locals called it “sauer wasser” (sour water – in German), being palatable. (figure 2) Over the years, because of the high iron oxide content, the main inlet corroded, gradually losing its flow.
A second well was drilled in the village in 1967 to cover the needs for the school, in the northern part of the village, near the school at number 215, to a depth of 86 m, where they also discovered mineral water, however, as it was not possible to drill any deeper with rudimentary means because of the hard rock layers, the well was not artesian, and the water was extracted using a mechanical pump, only functioning a few years.
A third artesian well was drilled in 1973, at the time of Mayor Eva Lotorosan. The drilling cost LEI 80,000 which was given by the county administration for ranking second in the contest for the most beautiful locality in Timis County; here were ranked second place. The depth of the well was 140 m, having a flow of 18 liters/minute, but this stopped working after a while, as a result of the corrosive effect of the water.
A fourth well was drilled in 1997, also in the center of the village, up to the depth of 127 m, at the time of mayor Ioan Cionca. The well not being artesian, the water is extracted using a water pump. According to the lab analysis, the content of the water is: ammonium, sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium cations, in proportion of 291 mg/l; anions-sulfate, asolite, acid carbonate – 1041 mg/l; metals– 1, 7%; phosphate – 0, 25%; organic substances – 10, 1%; acidity 6, 8%; alkalinity – 16, 4%; hardness– 37, 8%; fixed residue – 1042. According to the norm STAS 4706/1986, the water is drinkable, with the exception of the iron index, which exceeds the maximum admissible limit. The mineral water has curative properties, being useful in digestive, ulcerous and nutrition illnesses, however counter indicated to be used currently in alimentation, without previous specific treatment.