Bencecu de Jos

Two villages, brother next to brother: the history of Bencecu de Sus is directly linked to that of the neighboring village Bencecu de Jos. In 1794, the Austrian administration brought here German colonists. These were settled near the original village, where they formed a new village and gave it a derived name. The new village was called Bencecu de Sus or Bencecu German.

Bencecu de Jos has been inhabited ever since the period of the great migrations (3rd century), this being evidenced by the archeological vestiges found here. The map of Cristof Winkler mentions it as being inhabited by Romanians. Amongst its many owners there is Ioan de Huniade, who owned it in 1456, followed by Ioan Griska, Matei Pann, the Banffi brothers, then the Sina brothers and count Wimpffen. It was once called Wencze, Benczekuta, and on Merczy’s map we find it under the name of Bensekut, name most likely taken from the sources found here.

This village is believed to have been inhabited ever since the period of the great migrations (3rd century), this being evidenced by the Roman ditch found nearby and by other archeological vestiges found here.

The map of Cristof Winkler mentions it as being inhabited by Romanians. Amongst its many owners there is Ioan de Huniade, who owned it in 1456, followed by Ioan Griska, Matei Pann, the Banffi brothers, then the Sina brothers and count Wimpffen.

It was once called Wencze, Benczekuta, and on Merczy’s map we find it under the name of Bensekut, name most likely taken from the sources found here.

In all probability, during the time of the Huniades, the village was also inhabited by Serbians alongside Romanians, then also by Hungarians brought by the Hungarian administration. Before 1774, it was named Penseck, and was part of the Bucovat circle.

In 1794, Germans and Swabians were colonized on the left bank of the stream Bacin, 1 km away from the southern hill slope. These, however, changed the location of their village in 1807, settling 2 km further south, founding a new settlement, Bencecu German (de Sus).

In 1935 it is mentioned as part of Timis-Torontal County, Recas district, having 642 inhabitants, mostly Romanian Christian Orthodox, with 171 houses and a total are of 3,087 jugers.

The Christian Orthodox church was built in 1899, the priest being Remus Chendi, and the education was organized in 1877, in an own building, at first in Romanian and Hungarian, then only in Romanian. It was assigned to the Court of Recas, 17 km away. The post-office was in the village. It was a commune until 1948.

As in many other places, in Romanian villages, religions sects have appeared here as well: Baptists, 5 members, Evangelical Christians, with 13 members (1935).

It formed part of the commune Bencecu de Sus until 1968, when it was assigned to the commune Pischia.

Media Gallery