Living wonders that have survived over the centuries: this is was the people of Murani are proud of.
The village is located in a valley of the stream Ludabara and it is surrounded by small hills. The first information about Murani date from the year 1318, and then the village was the property of the Murony family, until 1520, when the Ottoman occupation followed. Murani is famous for its wetlands that have become natural reserve due to the water bird species living here. The protected area houses 60 bird species protected by international conventions Romania is part of. As the protected are is limited to the east by the Pischia forest, the forest area needs protection, as many bird species use the forest as refuge and nesting area.
It is located in a valley of the stream Ludabara and it is surrounded by small hills, approximately 30 m high. It is mentioned by F. Griselini, who records: “travelling from Timisoara northwards bond, you will not discover immediately the mountains, the road passes through small and hilly heights. These start with the villages of Sanandrei, Mertisoara, Manastur, passing through Vinga, from west to east, beyond Murani, Pischia, Bencec and Ianova, continuing with the district of Lipova … until it is lost in the high mountains.”
Within the village limits there is a place called Aciad. Here once stood Acsad village, of which the first written records date to the year in 1318, when it was the property of Pavel Dedal, and a short while later is become the property of Teodor Vojteky.
Also nearby may have been Derzse village, whose name is kept today by the valley Darjele, which in 1421 was in the property of the Bishop of Cenad.
In the middle ages, the village itself was named Muron (Murony) and in 1472 was the property of the Murony family, who still owned it in 1520.
Under the Ottoman occupation, it was inhabited by Romanians, having 20 houses, however in Merczy’s map of 1723 it is less inhabited. It is also mentioned by J.J. Ehrler as being named Muran and being inhabited by Romanians.
In 1781 it was bought by Josif Kulterer who, being given the title of noble (baron) in 1799, also took on the name Murany, and who most likely built the castle in the center of the village.
In the first half of the 19th century, the land is divided in two: one part belongs to Ignatie Muranyi, and the other to Radanyi, née Terezia Muranyi. From him, it was bought in 1848 by the count Samuel Gyulay, who repaired and enlarged the castle.
Ignatie Muranyi was in 1867 the first constitutional prefect of Timis-Torontal County, and in 1869 he left his part to the wife of Juliu Manassy, née Elisabeta Muranyi. Later, it became the property of George Manassy.
The connections with Wallachia, the demographic movements on either side of the Carpathians continue well into the 18th century, and these are relevant through individual demographic movements, such as the mention of the arrival in Murani, in 1758, at the magistrate Stancu, of the priest Ismail Popovici, born in Transylvania in 1695, educated in Bucharest, who was ordained by the Metropolitan of Timisoara, and had 8 books of rituals at the church.
According to some sources, Roman-Catholic Hungarians and Germans were colonized here as well. Thus, in 1822 there were 1585 Christian Orthodox and 42 Roman-Catholic, totaling 1627 inhabitants, in 1838 there were 1678 Christian Orthodox and 66 Roman-Catholic totaling 1812 inhabitants and in 1866, there were 1729 Christian Orthodox , 83 Roman-Catholic and 12 Jews, totaling 824 inhabitants.
The Orthodox Church was built in 1835, among the priests being mentioned Liviu T. Mihailovici and Samuila Coman. This is the birthplace of the theologian Gheorghe Popescu.
This is also when the primary education is organized, through the construction of a school with two teaching positions, and the cultural activity, the priest and teacher Coriolan David also had a long activity here. This is also the birthplace of the archpriest Eugen Iancu.
There was a male choir founded in the year 1900, consisting of 50 persons, then a national house was erected and a monument dedicated to the heroes, there was a the post-office in the locality, in 1935 the locality was part of Timis-Torontal county, Vinga district, with 374 house and 1253 inhabitants, mostly Christian Orthodox Romanians. The village had an area of 6,727 jugers.
Until 1950 it was the commune center, after which it was assigned to Pischia commune.